Application Status Definitions
ILHAF applicants will see one of these possible status updates during the review process:
- In Review: Your application has been assigned to an ILHAF reviewer. Applicants can expect this stage to take up to 120 days from submission.
- Finalizing Determination: Confirming the final determination, which includes the grant assistance amount or the denial reason.
- More Info Needed – Instructions Sent to Email: Your application was missing one or more documents required to complete the review. Please check your email for a notification that explains what is needed, and directions on uploading the documentation to your application.
- Contact a HUD Approved Housing Counselor: There are two reasons why you may need to contact a HUD-approved housing counselor.
1. You need to provide documentation that confirms you have explored loss mitigation options. You may upload one of the following documents:
— A certificate from a HUD-approved housing counselor. Please contact a HUD-certified housing counseling agency to obtain a certificate and complete the application.
— A letter from your mortgage servicer detailing your loss mitigation options.
— A letter from a legal aid organization detailing the assistance received, or are currently receiving.
2. This status may mean that we have reviewed your application and have determined your mortgage payment is not affordable. Please meet with a HUD-certified housing counseling agency for an additional review of your income and expenses.
— Mortgage affordability is determined by comparing your monthly payment to your servicer as a percentage of the amount of your household monthly gross income.
— Though meeting with a counselor at this stage is required for further review, it does not guarantee approval for assistance.
- Referred to Legal Aid: Based on a review of your application, we have determined that you are not eligible to receive assistance from the ILHAF program. Assistance from a legal aid organization may be beneficial at this time. IHDA has partnered with legal aid organizations throughout the state who may be able to provide free assistance. A list of partnered legal aid organizations can be found HERE.
- Waiting for Mortgage Servicer Response: IHDA has completed a review of your application and has sent it to your servicer for confirmation of the amount owed and other details. Applicants can expect to remain in this status for up to six weeks while awaiting a response from your servicer
- Reviewing Servicer Response: IHDA staff are reviewing information provided to us from your mortgage servicer and confirming they can accept payment.
- Quality Control Review: Your application has been randomly selected for an additional review to guarantee our reviewers are following program guidelines. Not all applications will go through this process.
- Approved: Your application has been approved for funding. We will submit payment in 1-3 business days from the approval date. If paid by ACH, your mortgage servicer should receive the payment 5-7 business days after the approval date. If paid by check, the payment should be received 15 business days after the approval date.
- Paid: Your application has been approved and we have sent payment on your behalf to your mortgage servicer, taxing body and/or other approved vendors. Please note, all servicers and vendors will have their own timeline to apply funds. Please contact them directly for additional information.
- Denied: Your application did not meet eligibility criteria and has been denied. If you have any questions about the reason for denial, please contact ILHAF customer relations at (866) 454-3571 and press option 1. You can also email firstname.lastname@example.org with your application ID number, name and address and a representative will respond accordingly.
- Ready to Be Reviewed: Your application has been received but has not been assigned to a reviewer yet.
If you have any questions about one of the above statuses, please contact ILHAF customer relations at 866-454-3571, or send an email to email@example.com.